Thursday, January 20, 2011

Purpose and Peace

We live in a violent, vulgar time.
- a time when people have little purpose
- a time when many desire personal peace 
- a time when one must turn to God for purpose and peace.

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him. Colossians 3:17


Let's break it down
1. "And whatsoever you do in word or deed" 
     - If I'm not doing it, then I'm probably saying it.
  
Thought Question:
Since actions and words are generated by thoughts, then how important are my thoughts?


What do my thoughts reveal about me?  (Proverbs 23:7)


So what things should I think about?  (Philippians 4:8)  
Hint: There are 6.


What is the result of proper thoughts and actions?  (Philippians 4:9)  
Hint: P______ of G_____

2. "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus" 
    - Everything I do should be done with Jesus in mind.


With whose name should I be willing to have my actions (words and deeds) associated?


Thought Question:
To whom do my actions actually bring glory (attention or praise)?
What do we call something that brings honor to self and dishonor to Christ?
Hint:  S __ __


3. "giving thanks to God and the Father by him."
    - I should be able to thank God for my words and actions.
If I can't thank God for them (my words and actions), then what must be the reason?
It's simple; it's sin.
    
Conclusion: All my words and deeds should be done in such a way 
that I can thank God for them.  
PM

No comments:

Post a Comment