Sunday, February 13, 2011

Too Easily Pleased



Six days ago (Sunday night) I developed a sore throat with swollen glands. I stayed home the next day thinking that a day of rest and lots of fluids would do the trick. Throughout the day on Monday I felt sick but not horrible. Horrible came calling Monday night. I spent most of the week in bed. I think I’ve had everything except a fever: sore throat, cough, runny, stuffy, weak, achy, headache, lack of appetite, and weight loss. The last one I don’t mind so much. To all those who have been praying  ~  thanks. To those who have endured a similar fate ~ sympathy. To all those who have avoided this so far ~ hope. Someone recently sent me the following quote by C.S. Lewis. It is my hope that the quote and post are as much as an encouragement to you as they were to me. 

 ---------------------------------------------

"Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”  C.S. Lewis

Read the following as if  you'd never heard it before.

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job. He was a godly man who hated evil. He was blessed with 7 sons and 3 daughters. He was a wealthy man who owned 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, and 500 donkeys. He was the greatest of all men in the east.

On a day like any other, a servant ran into the presence of Job with terrible news. “The Sabeans took all your donkeys and oxen and killed all the servants that were there. I am the only one to escape.”

While that servant was still speaking, a second servant arrived with terrible news. “The sheep and the servants who were with them were consumed by a fire from the sky. I am the only one to escape.”

While that servant was still speaking, a third servant arrived with terrible news. “The Chaldeans took all your camels and killed all the servants that were there. I am the only one to escape.”


While that servant was still speaking, a fourth servant arrived with terrible news. “Your sons and daughters were eating together, and a great wind from the desert collapsed the house and all are dead. I am the only one to escape.”

All four servants speaking at the same with the horrible news that Job has lost everything.

Some of you may have noticed that I omitted the conversation between God and Satan - when God spoke so highly of Job and gave permission for Satan to cause such loss. I left out what Job didn’t know.. Imagine that you are Job and limited by what he knew. He experienced all of the heartache, pain, and loss without explanation. He didn't know why it happened or what the future would hold. He was reduced to four servants, his wife, and what he truly believed about God. With all that in mind, try to grasp the beauty of his humble response.

Job said, “Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Be thankful, and take courage. We came into this life with nothing, and we will leave with nothing. For all that God gives or takes, be thankful. We can be content with pleasure in God alone or be content with pleasure and leave God alone. With the first chapter of Job fresh in your mind, try re-reading the opening quote by C.S. Lewis.   PM 

But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
I Timothy 6:6-8

    

No comments:

Post a Comment