Thursday, February 3, 2011

Underwater and Helpless

 
In the summer of 2008 we ran a teen camp for our church teens at the Circle K Ranch in southwestern Colorado. It’s located in a beautiful spot in the mountains. The temperatures are wonderfully “cool to cold.” It’s a nice break from the Arizona daytime heat of 105-115˚.

We focus on spiritual things and have lots of fun, too. One of the highlights of the week is a 3-4 hour rafting trip down the Animas River. It’s a fairly easy run with a lot of wet fun. The only challenging part for beginners is toward the middle of the run (where pictures of each raft are taken): a section of rapids that is perhaps 100 yards in length. 

Before the whitewater adventure begins we are given instructions on what to do if someone falls out of a raft. The person in the water is told what to do to be recovered, and those in raft are told how to recover the raft-less one. They were simple instructions which stressed teamwork and safety.

At the beginning of the rapids our boat got hung-up on a rock, so we all moved to the low side (as instructed) and bounced up and down in an effort to free ourselves. It worked perfectly. The boat slid down the rock and we scrambled to our seats and our footholds. Did I say perfectly? Well, perfectly except for one small detail, I became separated from the raft. For all you slow people - I fell in. The thought that I might have fallen all by myself is untenable, so I imagine that the lady sitting next to me must have pushed me. I’ll stick to that story.

When I surfaced near the raft, I had lost my hat, my sunglasses, and one shoe. As I struggled to get back to the raft, the guide yelled, “Turn around!” So, I turned around and did everything I was supposed to do – feet up, arms out (treading water), wait to be picked up. It worked perfectly, and I survived. Did I say perfectly, again? Well, perfectly except for another small detail, my vest wasn’t tight enough. So, when I hit the first bit of rapids, the vest floated above my head. Vest above water, head below water – not ideal. It was my own fault. I had walked around checking and tightening the teens' vests but never had mine checked or tightened.

If I pulled the vest down, I couldn’t tread water and found myself underwater. If I treaded water, I couldn’t pull the vest down and found myself underwater. It was a vicious cycle. In both cases, the key word is “underwater.” I soon let go of the paddle. I struggled to stay afloat and struggled to get air. Occasionally, my face would surface, and I’d gasp for a breath. About half way through each breath the air became water. I coughed. I choked. I struggled. I quickly became exhausted.

At least one of our boats passed me. The guide was yelling something, and the kids were laughing. I’d have laughed, too. But I wasn’t laughing. I knew I was in trouble. I had no idea how far I’d gone, how far I’d have to go, or how I was going to get out. Finally, at the end of the rapids I was able to grab a rock and maneuver toward the shore. I could barely stand. My lost shoe was in a small eddy next to me. It was circling tightly. I picked it up and put it back. I was too tired to carry it with me. I was done. I had nothing left.

Someone asked if I was scared. I really wasn’t. I had peace and was at peace. Along with having thoughts of my family, I remember thinking or praying the following:
          Nice Mark. Way to go. Drown at summer camp.
          The kids are going to feel bad about laughing.
          “Lord, is this how it ends?”
          “Lord, if I drown, use this.”
Mostly, I felt helpless. Did you see the pic at the top of this post? It was taken as I started into the rapids. How helpless was I? I was at the other end of the paddle. I was at the mercy of the rapids; I was at the mercy of God. I was helpless without His help. We are all helpless without His help. We need God. We need God all the time, every day.

Sadly, many Christians live day to day life without the presence and leading of God.
They may look and sound good, but there is really no power beyond self.
They focus on religion (rules, rites, and rituals).
They generally fall into one of three categories:


   Those who Drift   
   They are generally unmotivated.
   They take life as it comes.
   There is little forethought, preparation or accomplishment.
   They rely on sensation instead of supplication (prayer).
   They make no time for God.

   Those who Devise   
   They are the planners.
   They mold life to fit them (a tidy plan).
   They self-plan and calculate the smallest of details, sometimes years in advance.
   They rely on calculation instead of supplication (prayer).
   They have no time for God.

   Those who Drive   
   They are highly motivated.
   They are consumed with busyness.
   They run ahead without God's plan.
   They rely on manipulation instead of supplication (prayer).
   They have no time for God.

Thankfully, some Christians live day to day life with the presence and leading of God.
They may not always look and sound good, but there really is God's power beyond self.
They focus on relationship with God.
They fall into one category:

   Those who Depend   
   They are highly motivated by eternal things.
   They learn contentment through God's grace.
   They follow God's plan one step at a time.
   They rely on supplication (prayer).
   They make time for God.

How about you?
Do you have the presence of God in your life?
Do you rely on God?
Reliance on God produces fruit.
Is your life known for the Fruit of the Spirit?

Galatians 5:22-23
But the Fruit of the Spirit is
love
joy
peace
longsuffering (patience)
gentleness
goodness
faith
meekness
temperance (self-control)


Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up 
and hurry off as if nothing had happened. 
Winston Churchill 

Seek Him. Have a great weekend. PM

     

No comments:

Post a Comment